Medical Research Spec. I (clinical research), College of Medicine and Health Sciences-UAEU – employed as full-time staff member participating in clinical research, with occasional teaching and administrative activities if required by the Chair of the department.
– Be involved with the day-to-day running of the departmental clinical research projects, training and mentoring undergraduate students participating in clinical research projects.
– Be instrumental in research projects, data collection, data management, grant management and contribute to the preparation of initial manuscripts, grants and other outputs, contributing significantly to the research output of the University.
– As Study Coordinator, ensures assigned studies are conducted in accordance with the Office for Human Research Ethics and Good Clinical Practices (GCP) .
– Contact and work with organizations involved in pediatric department research projects (Ethical committee, Hospitals clinics, schools, governmental and private institutions, etc), for approvals, recruitment and data collection.
– Recruit eligible patients, obtain signed informed consent from participants or their guardians after informing them of the research project.
– Be responsible for the organization of the collection of biological and survey data from schools, clinics and hospitals.
– Travels to various sites within a specified geographical area, as appropriate to the objectives of the study.
– Data collection for research purposes using (case study, data extraction from medical charts, questionnaires administration, face-to-face and telephone surveys, etc) from different locations (hospitals, clinics, schools, home, etc.).
– Collect , observe, measure and document patients parameters for study purposes (vital signs, height, weight, respiratory measurements like FOT, taking nasopharyngeal swabs , collect stool specimen, etc.).
– Organize and collect samples required for each project such as (microbiological specimens, bodily fluids, blood,) from subjects, labeling, transport to the laboratory.
– Follow-up of clinic patients, or of inpatients after discharge from hospital in relation to research projects.
– Performs surveillance of research patient units for monitoring of results and detection of adverse events
– Designing data collection tools, computer databases for data entry using (MS Access, Excel, SPSS ).
– Enters research data on a secure computer file.
– Performs data cleaning, merging, verification and quality control, ensuring data integrity and consistency with prescribed study protocol.
– Perform necessary preliminary data and statistical analysis, and be involved in the interpretation and communication of main results and their preparation for publication and future research grants
– Maintenance of accurate files and records, both computerized and manual.
– Maintenance of the confidentiality of participants’ personal information.
– Assists in the setup, operation, maintenance of research equipment, instrumentation, and/or facilities, as specifically instructed.
– Carry out administrative and management work associated with research, grants applications, and publications.
– Contributes to the development, and translation if necessary, of documents for ethics application, research grant applications, information for participants, and obtain their informed consent.
– Organize, carry out and assist in teaching selected clinical procedures to undergraduate medical students, if requested by the Chair of department.
– Support continuous medical education activities organized by pediatrics department (prepare documents, accreditation, flyers, distributing announcements, registration, marketing sponsorship, evaluation of programs and analyzing feedback)
– Other duties as assigned by the Chair of the Department (invigilation, etc.)
Recognized nursing or ancillary health care degree, or Masters in a relevant research field appropriate to this position
Nursing or ancillary health care training, good social skills to interact with research participants and staff from schools, clinics and hospitals. Arabic speaking would be an advantage
Minimum 3-4 years in active nursing, ancillary health care or clinical research positions. Exposure and experience in clinical research tasks (obtaining some biological samples, questionnaire surveys, entering data on a computer file). Good organizational skills. Experience with the Microsoft Office applications and entering data on SPSS or equivalent software.
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.