I’m sick and tired, and I’m not going to take it anymore! These famous words, from the movie, Network, should become the motto, for Americans, who are tired of being represented by politicians, who, seem to, consistently, put their personal/ political agenda, and self – interest, ahead of the common good, and needs, priorities, and relevant. sustainable actions, we need, today, perhaps, more than ever, in recent memory! Wouldn’t it be nice, if those we elected, actually, put meaningful, relevant, well – considered, POLICY, focused on our best interests, both short – term, as well as in the longer – run? With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, what this means and represents, and why, it’s so very important.
1. Priorities; perceptions; people; planning: Whose priorities, deserve to be considered, as most essential? How can any official, know, understand, and align his representation, with the perceptions of his constituents, unless/ until. he takes the time, and makes the effort, to effectively listen, and learn? What is more important than treating all our people, equally, as our Constitution guarantees, and emphasizes? If policies, are created, in a haphazard way, rather than based on quality planning, all of us suffer!
2. Options; opportunities; open – mind: It’s my way, or the highway! Unfortunately, far too often, those elected, proceed, with that type of focus! We need to be represented, by individuals, who consider various options and alternatives, with an open – mind, so everyone enjoys, as many opportunities, as possible!
3. Listen; learn; leading: We deserve representation, by people, who effectively listen, and learn from every conversation and experience! Avoid those, who fail to, demonstrate, they are, actually, leading, in a focused, Constitution – oriented manner!
4. Integrity; importance; innovate; imagine; ideas; ideology: Although we need, and deserve it, few of those, we elect, proceed with genuine, absolute integrity! They fail to recognize the importance of bringing us together, and aligning quality ideas, with the American ideology! They should be able to imagine the possibilities, and have the skills/ ability, to innovate, for relevant, sustainable needs!
5. Character; caring; create/ creative; common good: Before electing people, we should consider, their quality of character, and whether, their caring, is genuine, or another empty promise, and rhetoric! Great leaders create an example, for the better, and have the creativity, to bring about changes, for the better, and the common good!
6. You; your: Demand, they, put, you, ahead of their agenda! Become your personal spokesman, and let them know, you expect, and deserve, better!
Why do, we witness, so few public officials, who put POLICY, which serves the greater good, ahead of their personal/ political agenda, and self – interest? If you want better, you must demand it!